Shira or Rava Kesari is a popular sweet dish in India, it is a traditional sweet that is made in many Indian homes during festivals and special occasions. It is a delicious and easy-to-make sweet dish that can be enjoyed by all.
- 1 cup fine semolina (rava or sooji)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
- A pinch of saffron strands
- A few drops of yellow food colour (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews and raisins (optional)
- In a pan, dry roast the semolina on medium heat until it turns slightly golden brown and releases a nutty aroma. Keep stirring continuously to prevent burning.
- In another pan, bring water and sugar to a boil. Add saffron strands and food colour, if using. Stir to combine.
- Once the semolina is roasted, add the sugar syrup to it and stir continuously. The mixture will start to thicken.
- Add ghee to the mixture and stir well.
- Keep stirring until the mixture becomes thick and starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Add cashews and raisins, if using, and stir well.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased plate or container and press it down evenly.
- Let it cool for a few minutes, then cut into desired shape and serve.
Note: You can also add cardamom powder or rose water for flavour.