Authentic Punjabi Pickled Onions | Sirke Wale Pyaaz Recipe
Sirke Wale Pyaaz are renowned for their vibrant pink hue and delightfully tangy crunch. These pickled onions, often served alongside piping hot Tandoori rotis at the iconic Dhabas (roadside restaurants) in India, bring a burst of flavour to any meal. Prepare them quickly and effortlessly with this easy recipe.
- 1 cup sliced red onions or whole pearl onions, peeled
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1-2 slit Serrano chilies
- In a pan, warm the water and add salt and sugar. Stir until dissolved, then remove from heat.
- Add the vinegar and mix well.
- Place the onions and chilies in a glass jar.
- Pour the warm vinegar water over the onions.
- Cover the jar and refrigerate.
- Allow the onions to pickle for at least 24 hours before using.
- For the best flavour, consume the pickled onions within 5-7 days.
- You can reuse the vinegar mixture to pickle more onions. Simply add additional onions once the previous batch is finished.
Indulge in the tangy and vibrant Sirke Wale Pyaaz as they enhance the taste of your favourite Indian dishes. These pickled onions are also a perfect addition to sandwiches and salads, infusing them with a burst of pink and pungent flavours.