DAL MAKHANI – FROM THE KITCHENS OF INDIA
Dal Makhani or maa di dal, as it is popularly known in the Punjab. It is is a delicacy known for its smooth velvety texture and lovely flavour.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 40 mins
Makes 4 servings
Dal Makhani is traditionally cooked on a low flame overnight and allowed to thicken. Here we are using a pressure cooker to cook the dal. Usually Dal Makhani is served with hot Indian bread called naans.
- Whole black gram (sabuturad) 1/2 cup
- Red kidney beans (rajma) 2 tablespoons- Wash and soak urad dal &rajma overnight, drain
- Oil 1 tablespoon
- Butter 3 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Garam masala powder 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder 1 teaspoon
- Ginger chopped 2 inch pieces
- Cumin seeds 1 teaspoon
- 25 mm stick cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 cardamoms (elaichi)
- 2 cloves (laung / lavang)
- Garlic chopped 6 cloves
- Onion chopped 1 large
- Green chillies slit 2
- Tomatoes 2 medium- blended to paste
- 1/2 cup cream
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 tbsp fresh cream for the garnish
- First clean, wash and soak the whole urad and rajma overnight.
- Boil sabuturad and rajma in three cups of water with salt and half the red chilli powder and half the ginger. Cook for three whistles in a pressure cooker or until the rajma is completely soft.
- Whisk till the dal is almost mashed. Keep aside.
- Heat butter and oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When they begin to change colour, add ginger, garlic and onion and sauté till golden brown.
- Add slit green chillies, tomatoes puree and sauté on high heat. Add the remaining red chilli powder and sauté till the tomatoes are reduced to a pulp.
- Add the cooked dal and rajma. Add some water if the mixture is too thick.
- Add garam masala powder and adjust salt.
- Simmer on low heat till the dals are totally soft and well blended.
- Serve hot. Garnish with a swirl of cream and sprigs of fresh coriander.
4 thoughts on “DAL MAKHANI – FROM THE KITCHENS OF INDIA”
Hello. remarkable job. I did not imagine this. This is a remarkable story. Thanks!
I have been browsing on-line more than 3 hours as of late, yet I by no means found any fascinating article like yours. It¦s pretty worth sufficient for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content material as you probably did, the internet will probably be a lot more helpful than ever before.
Hi! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a extraordinary job!
After examine a few of the weblog posts on your website now, and I actually like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website listing and can be checking back soon. Pls check out my website online as nicely and let me know what you think.